8/13/08

Hiking Gone Wrong



Anna and I had a lot cooler weather this weekend in Birmingham. It only reached 90 degrees and really low humidity. We decided to make the most of our weekend and get outdoors a ton. Friday night, we did some mountain biking right here by the house. Our local loop. We're .3 of a mile from the house but plenty of loops to keep ya busy and interested. Awesome. Had a blast and Anna is really gaining some confidence on her bike (which is nicer than mine....bullshit).




So we decide to do an early hike on Saturday. Anna tells me to pick it and of course I try an overdo it. I pick a moderate 7 mile hike, that is actually a little harder than moderate. Of course, we don't get out there that early either. The book says it should take us about 4 hours, which I think is overestimating. So we're doing well but of course it gets hot around 11am and Anna says she's done, she's had enough. "Well honey, we can't be because we're still in the woods." And to be fair, she is a heart patient trying to get her endurance back and even had her heart monitor put back in less than 2 months ago. Ya, I know...but I'll probably never get it. I'll never learn. Anyway, I check the pedometer and the clock and we're already 7 miles in at 3 hours.....should be closed to finished. Well, we stumble, tongues dragging, up to the next trailhead sign. Anna starts crying...I give a little WTF. We've made a wrong turn 3-4 miles back and now we're 8.2 miles away from the north trailhead...and the car.


I know, only flowers!


Anyway, first guy to roll up. Has a truck with his fam throws us in the back...ME, Anna and my 200 pounds of dogs in the back. We laugh our asses off the whole 7 mile road ride back to the car. The guy is awesome...HE TOTALLY SAVED MY MARRIAGE...from Mobile...Anna got his card and is sending his kids toys...gotta love the good folk! We come home, drink 2 margaritas, and sleep the afternoon away. Brilliant!




PS F*** that book

60 hikes within 60 miles!

3 comments:

Christian Stitz said...

Glad to see you guys made it out OK (marriage and all). It's so easy to bite off more than the group can chew. I've done that a few times also. Looks like a pretty cool area from the background.

Strunk said...

Chris finally gave me the okay to comment - YEAH! That is a really funny story Flowers, and I think it is a guy thing to chew off more that you can do and never learn from it. Seriously I don't understand it. I tell Chris I want to do some hiking and enjoy the awesome weather and scenery. Instead we are doing a 10 mile hike with no time to stop and enjoy anything but our swamp ass and bug bites. Okay I may be exagerating a little, but that is how I remember these trips with Chris. I have learned I enjoy things much better if I go it alone, I can stop and check things out without getting the stare of I am waiting for you damn it.

This female needs a little insight, do you guys do much more than we can handle for bragging rights so you can say you successfully completed a 10 mile hike? If that is the case think of it this way, instead of getting 10 miles in do something at a pace that we can enjoy and then you can successfully have a fun day being married:). Think of it as excercise for your marriage which is just as important to make life more enjoyable, and you will also see physical benefits like you would with regular excercise (wink wink).

I hope you and Anna are doing awesome! Can wait to see you guys again.

JP said...

Glad you had some luck gettin' out. "Deliverance" was just a movie (although I still carry a boot-leggin' dagger.) You gotta figure if tire out dogs with five foot long legs than you did too much.

Jess, I'm with you about making quality time quality time. However, it's not always just the guys who bite too much. I don't think its about bragging rights or even fitness. It's just a little all around lack of communication.