8/22/10

Tour de Schenectady

To preface, I don't mean to monopolize the blog... the Tour de Schenectady was Saturday, filled with benefit rides of all sorts going towards the Schenectady Cancer Foundation. A short road ride of 15 miles, a long road ride of 55 miles and a 12 mile MTB race held in Schenectady's Central Park. I originally was on the fence about riding any of these for a variety of reasons. But, ultimately decided to do the MTB race. This event was organized by the same group doing the Tuesday series, with the exact same race location and format. I went for it, thinking I could get in a solid weekend training ride and maybe make some progress with technical features.

When I showed up, I was surprised by how few riders were there. It was a super nice day; 67 degrees, sunny and a light breeze. Trails were in perfect shape, dry and packed down. Who wouldn't want to ride on a Saturday with those conditions? When we went to line up, there were only about 10 riders, with very few of the 'regulars' from the Tuesday series.

The race starts and, oddly, I jump out in front and hit the trail with no one ahead of me. What is going on? I hit it really hard, just pumping as fast as I can. The whole pack behind me. This is the first time this has happened and I have to admit, I was surprised. I hit the first series of switchbacks and no one is near me. I start thinking maybe the race stopped or something, but keep riding. Then I see some riders, but they are way back. Okay, normally, when I start I'm following at least half a dozen riders and just fighting to keep up. I'm riding clean and hard through the first lap, completely solo - no one around me. It felt very weird to not have anyone in front of me. I come in with a solid first lap time - 23:30 - only 30 seconds off from my first lap Tuesday.

Going into the second lap, same thing, no one around me. I see guys through switchbacks every so often, but they are at least a minute back. I back off a little from my pace part way through so I don't blow out. I come in from the second lap and go out for the third. Same thing as the first two. I finish the third lap, feeling good... in first place overall. Weird. I've never won a MTB race and wouldn't say I'm that great of a rider to win. But, I guess I did. As a result, I get placed first in Pro category (more by default) and take home the loot. Gift card, water bottle, free lunch. But, best of all... I'm getting a free bike fit, a completely top to bottom service, from Plaine and Son Bike Shop. I'm so excited, I can't believe it.

I also realize that my time is a bit faster than Tuesday - 1:12. That's one minute shaved off my best time. My average speeds have been hovering around 9.6-9.8 for the 12 miles.

No pics yet, but there might be some coming later.

2 comments:

Strunk said...

Congratulations Ben that is awesome. The 67 degree weather sounds awesome too.

Ben Schwab said...

Thanks Jess. I meant to say that weeks ago and forgot. Well, you guys could be enjoying that weather too - if you ever came up here to visit!