8/18/10

Schenectady Tuesday Night Race Series - III

One step back, two steps forward. I had one of the best races last night; finishing sixth, with my best time ever - 1:11. I trimmed 5 minutes off my time from last week and moved up two spots in the overall rankings to 8th. I also had my best lap times - 23 minutes first lap, just under 24 minutes for the second lap and 24 for the third lap. This was the most consistent I've ridden in a long time. I, of course, still wrecked once and had a minor run-in with a tree. I can't seem to get one clean race without a dust up, but I'll take the time improvement.

First lap was super fast, with some really great, new riders. I started out about 8 or 9 riders back from first and felt good from the get go. I was trailing some really good riders throughout the first lap, all riding at a super quick pace. I was able to pass one or two (I don't remember) by the time that first lap was over. There was one spot in particular that a guy messed up on something, I passed him and then really cranked it out to separate from him. He was a good rider and I knew he'd likely pass me if I messed up or didn't push it. There were a few guys ahead of me that I could barely make out in the distance coming in from the first lap and I got super excited knowing I might catch them, coupled with realizing my lap time.

Halfway through the second lap, one rider wrecked bad and I moved up one spot. He has been a good, consistent rider throughout. So, I knew he would be on my tail. I ratcheted up my pace in this second lap, just trying to hold on. Soon after, I was yo-yo-ing with another rider ahead of me- catching up to him and then losing him.

Going into the third lap, I feel really good. Not as tired as what I had last week. I had two riders less than ten seconds behind me: the guy who wrecked and another guy who I passed in the first lap. I realized a quarter of the way through the third lap, I am 10-15 seconds behind four other riders. I didn't realize I was riding that close and try as hard as I can to close the gap. With riders so close ahead and behind, it really put an urgency on me not to lose my place. I come in from the third lap, super happy with my time and place. That post-ride Yeungling never tasted so good.

Pics:
















4 comments:

Ben Schwab said...

Whoops! I butchered that first sentence and revised it.

Dave said...

Nice work Ben! Isn't it so nice to be able to see that improvement written down on paper. Keep it up, how many more races are there?

Ben Schwab said...

Thanks Dave! Appreciate the words of encouragement. There are two more races in the series. But I have to miss the last one, because I start teaching then.

JP said...

Well done. Congrats. A little moto for the next and final race--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SUzcDUERLo

Looking forward to hearing about it.