8/16/10

Tongue Mountain/Graphite Mountain Road Ride

I had planned on riding another metric century on the 8th, but the race was cancelled. I didn't find out about the cancellation until the night before. So, in lieu of that race, this weekend I went on a road ride with a group of older gents (they were all in their 50s). I was invited by an acquaintance, Bill, I've gotten to know from a group I'm a part of - Toastmasters. We went up to the Adirondacks, near Lake George to go for a 45 mile 'climbing ride'. In those 45 miles, we climbed over 3,000 feet of elevation. Most of it happening within the first half of the ride. It ended up being a great day for riding, highs in the mid-80s and sunny.

The ride started out with a small hill and then dove down to a lake. We then got the real climbing on and I was all out. Most of the steeper sections I was out of the saddle, just to keep myself moving. Surprisingly, I like to climb - I really enjoyed these sections. They reminded me of the climbs in St. Charles I did with Stitz last year, except steeper and longer. Good stuff.












Regrouping after the first climb. Bill's 'younger' brother in the foreground - great rider, races a lot.











Me, at the Hague General Store after the first climb.
















Bill - he is in his late-50s. He can outride me in most sections, insane.














The rest of the group, seven riders total. I felt like the young pup, but had a great time. I was wiped out by the end. Not being used to climbing really took its toll on me. I normally get in around 30-35 miles a ride now, so the distance wasn't that far off from what I normally do. But, add in the climbing and it's a whole other ride.

1 comment:

Christian Stitz said...

Carrying us all on your shoulders. Thanks for keeping the crickets out. Those climbing rides will make you strong as an old man.