5/3/10

Schenectady Race

I rode my first race of the season yesterday. Race format was a little different, two laps; fastest time wins. Each lap is 5 miles, with an added extension that I haven't been riding as much. To preface, I wasn't feeling that confident about my riding skills the past few weeks. I went out for a few rides and felt twitchy, with no rhythm on the trails. I went on a pre-race loop the day before the race, took it really easy and felt a lot better. But, still wasn't 100% confident I'd do that great. I figured I'd go out, see how everything feels (me and bike) and just ride - no pressure.

Showed up morning of and about 25 racers where there. It looked like a good field, but mostly Sport class, very few Pro and a couple Beginners. I felt good, but jittery and nervous; so I rode around the trails trying to get rid of it. We lined up at the start and go, I was about 6-8 guys back from front. Oddly, started to feel really good and really enjoying myself. Through the first few technical sections, a few guys dismounted and ran their bikes alongside. I took the technical sections (mostly skinnies and planks) and passed about 3-4 of them. Then, right after that, one guy had a mechanical in front of me and I passed him. From my calculations I knew I was near the front and started pumping hard to get some distance. I was by myself for a while, with a pack of guys tailing me (the ones I passed) about 10 seconds behind me. I kept my pace through the next couple of sections until I got towards the end of the first lap. I started really sucking air and sucking riding on the bike. I had to dismount at two technical sections that I wasn't feeling too confident about clearing and lost a little time. I was fatigued and realized I pushed too hard at the beginning. I wasn't clearing anything very well and got out of rhythm. I came into the pit and the race organizers were flagging everyone down to stop.

Apparently, a guy had hit a jump in a weird way and lost control of his bike on his landing, hit a tree with his face and got knocked out. They called the ambulance and fire department. The race was postponed for about 20 minutes. Felt really bad for that guy, but it seemed no major injuries.

We ended up lining up in the positions we had finished the first lap. We go and I know that I'm near the front, but realize that there aren't as many guys in front of me as what I thought. I guess two guys (one Pro and one Sport) had to leave because of the accident. I know that puts me near the top three, but probably not in the top three. I get excited and just try to keep a good pace, no wrecks, etc. One guy passed me halfway through, but I notice that he is a race organizer, just out for a lap - no big deal. I feel a little better through that next lap, since we had a 20 minute break. Finish and complete both laps in exactly 33 minutes. Not bad. When I pull through I hear "Ben, 33 minutes, second place". I pull over, dismount and say "What?". Is that second place for weenies who had to dismount at two technical sections part way through the race? No, I got second place in Sport. Now, I don't feel I fully deserve it - without the accident, 20 minute break and two guys bowing out; I'm not sure I would have done that well. But, I'll take it I guess.

I brought home a new saddle (the irony is that I just bought one). This one is a Specialized Rival. But, it would be a nice addition for my road bike, or I'll sell it on Ebay. No pics, except for this one:

4 comments:

JP said...

Well done brother. Congrats. Did you race the Tuesday nights course?

Ben Schwab said...

Thanks man. Yup, same course as Tuesday night series, but with an added section- about 1.5 miles long.

Ann R. said...

Hello, I googled "Schenectady MTB race" and your blog popped up in the results. I was there yesterday for that race! I was that weird loud girl in the middle of the woods yellin at everyone to kick butt. Which you did. So congrats! Keep on keepin on!

Christian Stitz said...

Nice work rabbit. Keep it up. Looking confident on that root wad.