5/11/10

MEGAPOST






Things have been pretty eventfull for me as of the last 4-5 months, new job, moved home, new gym, new riding season, new friends along with bein back with some of my old buds once again, starting to travel a bit for work, very fortunate dude. I must say that I’ve neglected posting up on goings on. I’ve got a few things written, but I’m thinking to just go for the bulk post. Let us begin.

RIDE


This past Saturday Chris and I did the Greensfelder Challenge. Greensfelder is a park located behind Six Flags St. Louis, you can hear/see the roller coasters on various points on the trail. The terrain is sweet, rolling, and very rocky. In fact, so jarring on a rigid bicycle that I called it quits after 1-10ish mile loop. No mas, when your grip is on the verge of failing on various downhils, you just don’t want to do it anymore. At least that was my case. Pussed out, not worried about it. Anyway, Chris pumped out 4 laps in the marathon class, a sweet feat for someone who has been out of town for work from last Sunday through later Friday night. Congrats to him, hopefully he can get this back issue sorted out, if he does he's gonna be scary on the bike.














!NOT GREENSFELDER!




CROSSFIT



I’ve definitely shifted gears toward this stuff, been following the regime for 4-5 years on an off. Well, its on now and its been on for a while for me since I moved back to St. Chuck. I’ve gone from looking at CF as a great way to train for riding, to seeing riding as a great way to cross train for CF. The neat thing about Crossfit is that I get the chance to compete in it, its actually pretty big, at least relative to the community. I spent last Thursday through this past Monday in Castle Rock, Colorado, competing in the North Central Regional Crossfit Team Competition. Myself and 4 other athletes from the my gym flew/drove out there, competed against 31 other teams from 10 states in the region, 3 workouts on Friday, and if we made the top 16 on Friday then we would compete again on Sunday, top 8 on Sunday go out to California in July for nationals. First workout, Team Suicide Sprints, we were in 29th after that.









Workout 2, Team Snatch (hehehahaha), Olympic barbell lift for max weight in 1 rep. After this one we bumped up to 22nd place. As best as I can show the movement


1



2



3





!NOT COLORADO!


Third Workout, Team Triplet, as a team row 3000 meters on a rower, perform 200 overhead squats(95 lb for men, 65 for women), and do 50 muscle ups(its like a pullup into a dip on gymnastic rings). We executed our plan/sequence perfectly, ended up 4th overall in that workout which bumped us up to 13th for Friday overall, moving us into Sunday.



Not Comfortable



Glad


Saturday we watched some insanely strong men and women compete in the individual competition. Sunday workout went well for our team, but not as well as we would’ve liked, we didn’t make the top 8, so no California. There is next year, and who knows, maybe I’ll feel up to competing individually.


JOB




I got the chance to go to Seattle a few weeks ago. We put in long hours at the plant but got finished early one day and drove around the city a bit, Space Needle, coffee at the first Starbucks, Mount Rainier. Seattle is beautiful. No complaints from this guy. This past week I flew into Baltimore on Wednesday, long day on Thursday, drove to Philly for work on Friday, ate 2 cheese steaks at 2 different ‘joints’ within about an hour. We've got Jim’s, based on the suggestion of the desk attendant at my hotel. A bit pricey, but the beef was perfect, Cheez Whiz, and sautéed sweet peppers. Black Cherry cola. 8.5/10.



Mouth waterin yet?


I walked down the street in search of Rick’s, based on a friends suggestion, but found Steve’s, King of Steaks first. Dude’s the king of steaks, done. A bit more of a traditional diner feel, store bought bread (Jim’s was homemade), meat wasn’t as good, about 7 bucks w/ fries and water. 5/10. Then the next day I got my work done and had time to grab some food before headin to the airport. Upon the suggestion of plant management I grabbed a sandwich at Tony Lukes, which is really close to the airport. Went with the pork, this sandwich had AWESOME potential, it felt truly Philly. But they put spinach on it instead of broccoli rabe, and I didn’t have time to get it fixed, it was good, but I think it would’ve been great otherwise. 6.5-9.5/10. Pictures of sandwiches and mountaneous scenery make any post a great post.


!JUST OUTSIDE MOUNT RAINIER!

5 comments:

Christian Stitz said...

Starving. I want beef for breakfast.

JP said...

Congrats, Dave. Impressive stuff, Beefcake.

Ben Schwab said...

I hate to be 'that guy', but the best place to get a steak sandwich is Pat's. In fact, he is the originator/inventor of the cheesesteak sandwich. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat's_King_of_Steaks
Get it next time. Mmm, I want one now.
Glad to hear from you Dave. Well done. You're a badass. Those girls are scary.

D Stitz said...

Ben,
The whole Gino's/Pat's thing came up plenty of times with everyone that I consulted on the decision, since those two have gotten the most press. The votes that I got from Philly natives were for Jim's(which was delicious) and Rick's(which I couldn't find). Steve's was weak. I realize that you did live there for x amount of time, next time I'll hit up Pat's, and then probably Gino's.

Ben Schwab said...

Dave, Certainly not trying to proselytize. It really comes down to loyalty to a certain place. It's funny how each person in Philly has "their" cheesesteak place. I was just weighing in with my opinion. Bottom line, you had a cheesesteak from Philly. Yum.