3/4/10

Gettin Ready to Race - Crossfit Style

Hey guys, just wanting to post up since its definitely been a while on my part, and I need to get my typing fingers ready for all of the blogging to follow this year’s epic races. With no school and a big boy job I now have a pretty regular schedule that has allowed me to train quite a bit for this upcoming season.

I’ve been spending a lot of time at Crossfit St. Charles(CFSTC), a small gym that’s in a warehouse not even 5 minutes from where I’m living at M&D’s. Ask M&D and they’ll tell you that they rarely see me; this gym has been my home away from home. I’ve seen tremendous gains in my strength and stamina, and am optimistic about this sort of training yielding great things when trying to pound my single-speed up a rocky hill.

I’m terrible at explaining Crossfit’s theories on training, the best way that I can put it is that the end goal is to be able to do more work over less time. A lot of the workouts that we do are less than 20 minutes, few go over that, and some are less than 5 minutes. The intensity of the workouts is whatever you scale it to be since all of the movements performed can be modified to accommodate people of any strength or skill level. I’ve been trying to challenge myself at these and am at a point where I can do all of the workouts ‘prescribed’, or without scaling any weights or repetitions down.

This is my friend Nathan and I bangin out some swings at the end of a workout.

Kim Wilkes is the owner and head trainer at CFSTC, she’s certified in everything under the sun, a Registered Nurse, and just a really fun and caring woman to be around. She watches us like a hawk, correcting form and providing tips so that we can all get the most out of our training and stay safe.



Chris is set to join me in the gym this week, I know he’s excited, and I’m definitely pumped to have someone there to push myself against. Hopefully we’ll be successful in racing, in promoting MTBU, and in being ambassadors for CFSTC. I’m not entirely sure if he knows what to expect, but there will be a little bit of this



Immediately followed by some of this



Sorry, I’ve got to preach just a bit more. I talk about the tremendous gains that I’ve made at this gym, but what I have accomplished there is nothing compared to the goals that have been reached by the other members. I cannot talk enough about how motivating it is to see these people working their asses off to create a healthier life for themselves, and I just need to express my gratitude for the inspiration that they provide. One of the big reasons that I spend so much time there is because you cannot walk out of that building without having just seen something amazing and feeling like you accomplished something great. They welcome everyone, any shape, size, weight, gender, color, etc, and it truly is a non intimidating atmosphere. We’re all aware of each other’s goals, and we help one another reach them. I’ve made a lot of great friends already after only being there for a couple months.



The first race that MTBU Missouri Sector will participate in is at the end of the month, right up the street at Lost Valley. Hoping for a good showing, but my goal is just to do the best I can and get an idea of the competition for this year. I’m very curious to see if this general fitness training will apply well to a specific sport.

No comments: