8/19/09

Schenectady Tuesday Night Race Series - III

The third race in the Schenectady Series was the best it has been yet. Jeremy came barreling through town to represent MTB United after a marathon 18 hour drive from Jackson, Missouri. With just enough time to get in a pre-race lap and some bike prep, we were ready for battle. It was unseasonably warm, for Albany weather. The high was 94, with considerable humidity.

I felt really good going into this race and it started out pretty normal for me. However, I did have my best first lap time yet- 24 minutes on the 4 mile loop. Throughout the first 2 laps, I was contending with one of the guys I was with last week and one other guy. It was a great time again, as I felt we were really pushing each other. I rode better for a longer amount this time, but just couldn't seem to hold on to that pace. One of the guys passed me and the two of them took off. This time, I worked really hard to get back on track with them and ended up passing one of them on the third lap.

Towards the end of the last lap, a storm came rolling through. It got really windy and then all of a sudden, it got super dark. I almost couldn't see the trail, it was so dark. I could only imagine Jeremy, not knowing the course very well, out there trying to find his way back. I finished up my last lap and immediately turned around to go back to look for him. Right then, it started pouring down rain. Luckily, he found his way out just fine by himself.

In the end, I finished with my fastest time yet at 1:48, shaving off one minute from last week. I ended up placing 9th for the evening and moved up in the overall rankings to 9th. I'm just hoping I can hold on to that or move up this next and final week.

Jeremy finished at 1:59, in 12th place- a very respectable time, especially for driving 18 hours and not knowing the trails.

Post-race Yeungling Lagers and Five Guys Burgers and Fries.

Thanks for going to such great lengths to make it up this way Jeremy. As always, it was great seeing you and great riding with you.

This week, I was persuasive enough to have the amazing Mindi get some pics.


Prep time. I'm either really pissed about something or struggling to get my helmet on.











Sizing up the competition.











Getting ready.














Off to the races.











Jeremy starting out.











Battling it out with fellow contenders.











Jeremy getting after it.











Me, coming around after the first lap.













Jeremy, coming around after first lap.


3 comments:

JP said...

Despite how videos or pics may portray the trail, it is a difficult trail. Tight with challenging stunts. I started out at the back of the pack planning on pacing myself till the 3rd lap, however, after eating shit twice bone-jarringly hard, I didn't have much left to finish out the race. I was just happy finishing the race in pouring rain and a bike that still rolled.

Ben looked super smooth on the trail and beat out some fast guys to place as he did.

Christian Stitz said...

I thought you were loading your pants.

Nice work guys.

Moby said...

Damn Jeremy, 18 hours in a car, that would make me go crazy. It's good just to finish after that.

Nice riding Ben, keep it up!