8/11/09

Recent Activities

Have a few pics on the camera that need a place so here they are.




Congratulations to David and John on their successful completion of the MR340. They made very good time and completed the race unsupported. Quite the feat. I imagine there will be a post sooner or later. Probably takes a while to wrap your head around and sort out what you just did.

I was lucky enough to get to watch them complete the very last leg of the race. I parked at the finish line in St. Charles and hopped on the SS to ride down to the Klondike Park boat ramp (approx 313 miles done, 27 miles to the finish) where their last checkpoint was. Took a few pics along the way.



I pulled in to the boat ramp around noon and found their boat but not them. Wandered around for a few minutes and finally they appeared. They were both in good spirits and didn't seem to be in any real pain or discomfort. I was suprised and impressed. They weren't staying long, just a bathroom break. The timing couldn't have worked out better. Another ten minutes and I would've missed them.



They shoved off.



I stopped off at various spots along the way to watch them go by, take some pics, and give them some last minute encouragement. They're in there, you'll have to look closely.





Around 4:30PM Friday, after 79 hours, they pulled in to the finish.



Dave was interviewed by a Columbia Missourian reporter.



Great job guys, very impressive!



With some route additions that I made due to the difference in speed between boat and bike, I ended up with about 60 miles for the day. I enjoyed watching those guys finishing up the challenge.

The combo of singlespeed and Katy Trail made for some constant spinning that really helped me work on my spin, so I went at it again on Sunday. This time parked in Defiance and rode with Anna and Jess for 10 miles before they turned around. I continued on.

Finally saw a decent size Copperhead. He was laying across the trail just west of Marthasville when I approached. When I got to close he slowly made his way to the side of the trail. If you grabbed both ends and tugged he would be close to three feet long. The chesnut color is interesting, makes the snake look soft and smooth, no shine.




Made it to Treloar and turned around. Finished up with 52 miles.



Yep. I crossed the line.





Jess and I did a bit of hiking.




Along with our crazy dog.

1 comment:

JP said...

Wow, great post.

Congrats to Dave and his comrade. That's some serious shit. Impressive stuff. Not sure I could hack that.

Chris, ran over a diamondback myself last week. I had thought it was a plastic practical joke someone had left but when I stopped and turned to move it off the trail, it slithered into the brush (approx. 4ft.). Over a century in two days...good action.

Classic video. Way to be Johnny on the Spot with the camera.