7/29/09

Show-Me State Games

This was a fun one. The whole family came up to watch Dave and I race at Rock Bridge State Park in Columbia, MO. We set up the tent along the course and they just relaxed and picniced and watched the races.



Dave, Keith, and I did a quick preride.








I felt good coming in to this race so was extra excited to get started. I went in to the woods I believe seventh of twelve. Not sure what was happening behind me, but for the first half mile or so we were all one group. Then we passed David's roommate Jon on the side of the trail with a flat. At that point I believe Chris Ploch and Josh Johnson starting gapping the rest of us. I was at the back of the four man chase group and was able to hold their wheel for a while. On the flat locomotive section I fell and had to chase back, which took a bit out of me. I caught back up right at the base of one of the tougher climbs. Just couldn't quite hold on but kept them in sight. At the top of that climb you hit gravel road and open field riding for a bit. The three man group ahead was working together and I just couldn't get back to them.


Finished that lap there and out for lap two, my back tightened up again, but not as bad as last time. A little bit of standing mixed in seems to help relieve the pain. I caught a couple glimpses of Matt James, never made it to him. One of the guys in front of me DNF'd, and Jon eventually passed back by me and that's how it ended. Sixth place, not last, mission accomplished.

David did really well, especially considering that I believe he has been spending his time prepping for the MR340 and hasn't pedaled in quite a while.

Results











Thanks for the pics Jess! Thanks for the support family!

3 comments:

JP said...

Good action.

Ben Schwab said...

Nice. Congrats on the solid finish. How many miles per lap? I looked up times, but didn't see mileage.

Christian Stitz said...

I think I read/heard approx. 8 miles per lap. I really don't remember.