1/21/10

NW Arkansas

I had a bit of free time from work and was in the area so I got a chance to check out a bit of NW Arkansas singletrack. I was there for three days and it was sunny with highs in the mid 60s. Jersey and shorts.

First was Hobbs State Park right by Beaver Lake. They claim twenty something miles of singletrack. It's very well built and maintained, non technical, rolling, ribbon trail. Very fast. I came up with around 18 miles of trail or so. Loaded with armadillos. I saw three just lumbering around. Either they're lazy, stupid, or really sluggish due to "winter". I walked right up to them and could've picked them up if I wanted. I couldn't get them to curl up for whatever reason.  A few shots from the phone:




 

 

 

Next was Lake Leatherwood just outside or Eureka Springs.  Variety of terrain, lakeside, ridgetop, technical, buff, a bit of everything.  I think 10 or 15 miles of trail.  I had a blast here and will come back whenever I can.  I ran in to Scott Davis of the BT Epic and talked/rode with him a bit, he was the only other rider out there.  There is a Fat Tire Festival that takes place in Eureka Springs every year.  Looks like it would be a good time.  A few more:




 

 

Then some Buckingham's on the way home.






Workin' hard.

3 comments:

JP said...

Very jealous. My bike's hanging from my basement rafters as naked as a jaybird. And we've got snow forecasted for tonight.

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! When are the trails going to dry out?!?!?!?-- Jaosn

Ben Schwab said...

I'm jealous too. My rig is still a bit out of commission, with new parts waiting in the wings. Highs in the 30s and snow on the ground, with flurries forecasted too frequently for me.