6/9/08

KC Cup Report

As told in pics. Click pics to enlarge.

We drove down Saturday morning. Got a room at the Sheraton.



Jess went to the pool, Matt and I went and prerode the course. Landahl trails are awesome. Twisty, tight singletrack with plenty of tech sections thrown in. Preride went well. Went to Gates BBQ and picked up some great food. Lounged around, swam a bit, then went out to dinner at V's, an Italian joint with some pretty good food. Took a driving tour of KC, saw The Plaza, Downtown, Farmer's Market. Neat city.





Made our way to the race venue the following day. Lots of racers and spectators, most I've seen at a race so far. There were cars lining that road in the background all the way to and past the tree line, and twice as far the other way. It was fairly steamy. We got prepped.





There was a prerace meeting.





Scout was there to cheer us on.



We raced. Matt blew the doors off the SS class. I settled in to a great race for 1st with a guy named Zach, also from St. Louis. It was a really cool dynamic, how we helped one another open the gap on the rest of the field, at the same time we plotted our own one on one strategies. His proved better. I think I had a chance in the final sprint but I went in to the last turn too hot and almost left the course. Took out a course marker and had to jam on the brakes. Still ecstatic with a close second. Read Zach's report here.

Matt lapping.



Zach and I lapping. You can see my thrown bottle bouncing across the ground as I unclip to grab my backup.



Most fun I've had at a race yet. That's me, Matt, and Zach Brace discussing how much fun we had. It was great to chase Zach around, as I think he has a bit of experience and I got to pick up on some strategy type things. Super nice guy and great rider. Definitely read his report.

Results



The course after the race.





Matt loves his bike, and another impressive performance.



The beginner class podium looked like a bodybuilding podium.



This bike belonged to the guy in the blue shirt above. He bought it cheap to race it and it fell apart on him so he threw it away. He was all smiles though.



Expert 50+, there were more in the class, I guess they took off already.



Expert Overall, the guy who won was in the 40-49 class. Impressive.



Singlespeed (In case you were wondering, that is Matt on top)



Sport 30-39 podium. We took 1st and 2nd Sport Overall as well.



Thumbs up.



Post race fajitas. Dos Amigos. Guacamole was incredible. Avocados are definitely in.



Rolling home, The Bus in tow. I dozed off and on and Jessie drove.



My prize. Very nice. Definitely worth the entrance fee.



New garage decor.



Thanks Matt for making me try to keep up with you.

Extra special thank you to Jess as I wouldn't even get to ride my silly bikes if it weren't for her.

3 comments:

Zach Brace said...

great race chris....
that was alot of fun

JP said...

Thanks for the pics. Sounds like a hoot and a great race (including the celebratory podium PBR).

Ben Schwab said...

Congrats fellas. Wish I was living there to ride with you guys. Great pics and story about the 'duel' to the line.