8/13/12

Schenectady Tuesday Night Race Series - #1

Still not sure if this will get read, but I'll provide a little race update.

Last Tuesday, I rode in the Schenectady Tuesday Night Race Series - 1 of 4. Since the last race, there hasn't been much going on with the local race scene. In addition, I've been a little preoccupied and racing hasn't been on my radar. But, I've always looked forward to this series and wanted to see how my recent training would affect my racing.

I showed up and they bumped me up to Pro/Expert, on account of the last race results. We start and I'm in the mix of guys, then bam - chain drops off my crankset (I took my big ring off a while ago). I guess I must have set my limit screws up a little off, that's the only thing I can think of. I lose the pack, get the chain on and start pumping hard to catch up, which I eventually do. But, burned myself out, so I try to take it easy and then I lose the pack again. Eventually, I'm riding evenly and pass a few guys, a few guys pass me - yo-yoing back and forth like this for a while.

Amazingly, my chain drops three more times, I lost a ton of time as a result. Weird, it hasn't given me any problems all season. Plus, my lower back starts absolutely killing me towards the end (anyone know what this could be from?).

In the end, I brought up the rear - second from last in my class - with a final time of 1:38 for 15.5 miles. Results here, no pics yet. I have to admit, I haven't been riding as much (especially longer distances) so I'm ok with that time (especially in light of the mechanical issue). Would like if it was a little better, but, I'm just happy to be out riding. No matter how well or bad I do, at least I'm not stuck on the couch with Lyme disease.

2 comments:

JP said...

sDamn the chain slippage. Good pace anyway. Congrats on moving up a class. I get a sore lower back from ridin' the drops on my roadie, but I've always had lower back issues. Not sure.

Christian Stitz said...

Fantastic. Still listening here. Should have a few things to post about soon.